Firstly: I will not be taking part in NaPoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). For a variety of reasons, it's not going to happen this year.
Secondly: I will be challenging myself to write something every day. Unlike with NaPoWriMo, I won't be aiming to write 30 brand new pieces during November. Unlike with NaNoWriMo, I won't be stitching together a set number of words to make an overall product. It's going to be a weird halfway house between the two with no set numerical goals except to be writing something (either as part of a larger thing, or a complete piece in itself/ themselves) every day.
This could be:
- Short stories
- Bits of the one-hour, solo spoken word show I'm developing (of course I'm developing a one-hour, solo spoken word show - have you met a spoken word artist lately?!)
- Other Stuff
Thirdly: this is where you come in. I would like to take some commissions, to prevent me from losing momentum/ writing utter crap. I suspect I'll do better stuff if I'm writing for other people. (Or will I? That'll be fun to discover...)
The options are:
- Give me a phrase, or a picture, or a place, or something of that ilk - whatever I write must be either inspired by, or about that item;
- Give me a precise genre (poem (and style within poetry, if appropriate), short story, or Something Else);
- Give me a person for whom I should be writing this (it can just be you); or
- Combine two or more of the above.
The rules are:
- You can't specify length above 20 lines or 750 words (but you can specify length below that, unless the form you've chosen is constrained to a particular length...);
- If has to be something it's feasible to write in 2-3 days max (and bear in mind that I work full-time, so use your judgement wisely!);
- You can give me a commission any time between now and 29th November 2014.
- I have to start it in November 2014 for it to be considered part of the challenge;
- If I start it, I have to finish it, even if finishing it happens in a date past 30th November (but no later than 31st December 2014); and
- I am allowed to turn down commissions on the grounds of the feasibility of the above.
The format of the finished product will likely mostly be electronic, though this is something we can talk about. You choose whether this is something I can share with the general public or if it's just for you.
You can submit a commission request by filling in the form here. I'll be blogging (naturally) about it here.
Fourthly: As this is the first year I'm doing this and I've NO IDEA how/ if this will fly, I won't be raising any money from it. However, if you feel like you'd like to add an extra incentive, please make a donation to either Mind or Cancer Research and let me know about it. Ta! :)
Let's see what November brings...